Get the Best out of your heating system
Top tips to help you get the best out of your heating system and save money this summer.
1. Check your stock of oil – have you got any room for a summer top up? Please note we will not however fill your fuel tank completely full during hot weather as fuel must have room to expand.
2. Keep between fifteen and twenty inches of oil in the bottom – emergency deliveries are expensive and you also run the risk of disrupting the sediment that settles at the base of your tank if you refill it when it’s too low, which can clog up your supply pipe and lead to costly repairs
3. Consider your future oil requirements now, and look to buy as much as possible during the summer months when prices are often lower than in winter.
4. Ensure you order your heating oil from us as we are a NIOF Member (Northern Ireland Oil Federation) and we adhere to the NIOF Code of Practice.
5. Thompson Fuels offer monthly payment schemes, and summer is the best time to start one off. Speak to our friendly team for advice.
6. Check that your oil tank is as secure as possible against oil theft. Measures you can take include installing a tank lock, an alarm that goes off if your tank leaks, CCTV and security lights.
7. Make sure that your insurance policy covers your oil tank – most home insurance policies do not include this in the standard cover. You need to be covered for loss of fuel through theft and oil spills, and the environmental clean-up of your property and any adjacent land in the event of a leak.
8. Inspect your tank regularly and have it serviced annually by a qualified oil-fired heating engineer. If your oil tank needs replaced, again, talk to our friendly team and we can supply and install a brand new tank for you at a very competitive price.